UPCOMING EVENTS & FESTIVALS
Each year, Moose Meadows Farm hosts a multitude of agritourism on-farm events and festivals. The events vary each year and typically include workshops, family days, art shows, and concerts. For example, in June, 2010, the farm hosted Laurell (www.laurell.ca) while she was on tour promoting her CD “Can’t Stop Falling”. The outdoor concert was a huge success. For 2014, the following are planned. .
- Sugaring Off Farm Festival – April
- Birch Syrup Production Workshop – March / April
- Wreath Decorating Workshops – November / December
- On Farm Christmas Markets – November / December
- Educational Workshops
- Alpaca Rovings Hooking Workshop
- Apple Festival (apple pie contest, apple pressing, etc.) – September
See below for additional information on some of the events.
ON FARM CHRISTMAS MARKETS
- November / December – check Events Calendar for dates
- Every year, in November / December, Moose Meadows Farm hosts several On Farm Christmas Markets. On these days, the farm is open for touring and visiting. Activities may include:
- Tractor Hay Bale Rides through the Christmas Trees (weather & snow conditions permitting)
- Choose (& Cut) your Christmas Tree
- View first hand fresh, natural Christmas wreaths being made
- Place your order for a fresh wreath
- Tour the Farm and visit the animals
- Book in for a Wreath Decorating Workshop
- Enjoy a Hot Cocoa, Coffee, and / or Mulled North Cariboo Grown Apple Juice
- Visit “The Antlershed Giftshop” where local (and mostly Canadian) products are showcased
INTRODUTORY WORKSHOP TO CREATING A SADDLE PAD WITH ALPACA / LLAMA ROVINGS
January 18, 2014, 1-3 pm
January 25, 2014, 1-3 pm
This workshop will introduce participants to making a piece of art (wall hanging, trivet, seat pad) or the beginnings of a saddle pad. The workshop will be 4 hrs. long divided into 2 weekend sessions. Included in the fee will be everything you need to complete an alpaca chair cover / pad (canvas, yarn, rovings, etc.) plus you will receive a copy of a Hooking Guide / Book and all other supplies (e.g. hook, needle, etc.). The fee if all this is included will be in the $65.00 / person range (+GST). If people do not want the book, the fee will be $50.00 (although the book is highly recommended). Refreshments will be provided. A minimum of 10 people will need to register at this price & pre-registration (payment) will be required. Please contact the farm for additional information or the event listing on facebook.
7th ANNUAL SUGARING OFF FARM FESTIVAL
“Experience the Magic of Sugaring Off” – click on link for additional information
EDUCATIONAL FARM TOURS
MARCH 15th – OCTOBER 31st
(Depending upon weather, we may be able to offer tours outside of this period)
ALL TOURS ARE BY APPOINTMENT ONLY
The farm has been offering EDUCATIONAL FARM TOURS since 2006. With less than 3% of Canadians now living on farms, a visit to an operational farm is educational and something which many people love and cherish. Our tours are geared to the participants and can be “guided” or “self guided”. Specific groups that may be interested in participating and visiting the Farm are as follows:
- Elementary School Classes and Groups
- Secondary Schools
- Childrens Clubs – Girl Guides, Scouts, Brownies, Cadets, 4-H, etc.
- Day Cares
Some or all of the following activities will be available dependant upon time of year and season:
- Visiting the farm residents (animals) and discussing where they are originally from and their uses (e.g. alpaca fibre (clothing), recreational, eggs, etc.). This includes the ever popular “feeding of the chickens”!!
- Animal husbandry – shelter requirements, nutritional needs, responsibilities, adaptation to climate, etc.
- Birch Syrup Production – learning how birch sap is collected and syrup made from the paper birch tree. Includes a guided tour of the sugar bush and sugar shack. This tour is best done during the Sugaring Off season (April).
- Touring the Christmas Trees and a discussion of the practices and activities undertaken to produce an aesthetic tree ready for the market (e.g. tree species, stump culture, pruning, shearing, fertilisation, spacing, brushing, etc.)
- Touring our wreath making workshop complete with a discussion on the evergreen species used and why;
- Learn interesting myths pertaining to Christmas traditions (e.g. trees, wreaths, mistletoe, etc.)
- Agro-Forestry options – animal grazing (forage) and other land uses (e.g. forestry)
- Agri-Tourism options – options for combining tourism and agriculture
- General Forestry – wild crafting (wreath production), private forest management, etc.
We are also able to offer beverages and freshly baked buttermilk biscuits in our woodstove in the picnic shelter if tour participants wish.
- Minimum Price: $50.00 (+ HST)
For Group Tours involving Children, we do not charge a fee for the chaperones (teachers, parental supervision, etc.)
- Price (includes all taxes):
- Adults (17 years +) $6.00
- Children (24 mos. to 16 years) $4.50
- 24 mos. & under FREE