THE BIRCH SYRUP PRODUCTION MANUAL – Tapping into Syrup Boreal Forest Style
By Heloise Dixon-Warren; Published by Quesnel Community & Economic Development Corporation (2007)
Shipping: To Be Determined
A concise and informative manual essential to those interested in getting started and producing birch syrup. 103 pages of up to date information concerning all aspects of birch syrup production, from start to finish. Topics include start dates, production methods, marketing and pricing info, as well as equipment lists and logistical considerations for setting up a birch syrup operation. Also features illustrations and over 25 recipes! This in the first, and only, manual available on birch syrup production in Canada!
Heloise, in partnership with QCEDC, was the winner of Investment Agriculture Foundation’s 1st Award of Excellence for Innovation in Agriculture and Agri-Food. The award was received for her role in leading the development of the birch sap industry in British Columbia, and for authoring “The Birch Syrup Production Manual – Tapping into Syrup Boreal Forest Style”
- 5/16″ spiles with 2′ sap tubing: $3.00
- Syrup Hydrometer (45-70 deg. Brix) – use with hydrometer cup: $20.00
- Sap Hydrometer (0-8 deg. Brix ) – use with hydrometer cup: $20.00
- 1 Hydrometer Cup – tig welded stainless steel: $45.00
INTRODUCTORY TAPPING KIT
Everything you need to get started with up to 10 trees in your back yard or the back 40!
For collection containers, we suggest food grade plastic pails or plastic 4 litre milk jugs. Just collect daily!!
- The Birch Syrup Production Manual – Tapping into Syrup Boreal Forest Style
- 1 5/16″ tapping bit to be used with 5/16″ spiles (brace or cordless drill required)
- 10 5/16″ plastic spiles
- 10 2′ pieces of sap tubing
- 1 Thermometre
- 1 Flat Orlon Filter 12″ X 12″
- 1 Flat Pre-Filter 24″ x 24″
- 1 Syrup Hydrometer (50-70 deg. Brix scale) – use with hydrometer cup
- 1 Sap Hydrometer (0-8 deg. Brix scale) – use with hydrometer cup
- 1 Hydrometer Cup (12″) – tig welded stainless steel
Click here for the Order Form